With New Year’s Eve upon us I thought I’d share a my favorite looks by season with you all, as well as the highlights of my year. Overall 2014 was… a bit of a tough year, at least when compared with the profound awesomeness of 2013 (not surprising, given that 13 has always been a lucky number for me). In 2013 I got engaged, went on a wonderful whirlwind tour of Italy, relaxed on the private beach of a gorgeous little house in the Bahamas for a week in February, and had countless little things throughout the year just go right.
Maybe 2014 was a bit of a hangover year, but things tended to go just the opposite. I should have known something was up with the way this year started. On New Year’s day we drove from Petoskey, Michigan (where we had been holiday-ing with my fiance’s family) to Chicago in a snowstorm so bad that we actually had to take back roads all the way from around Grand Rapids to Chicago (it turns out that slowly driving through thick snow is safer than driving on black ice on the Expressway). Anyway, flash forward to my work sending me to South by Southwest without finding adequate accommodations (I had to sleep on a friend’s couch), work struggles with a boss I couldn’t see eye-to-eye with, me losing nearly 20 lbs then gaining it all back during a stressful summer, catching a serious stomach bug on our trip to Ireland that landed me in the bathroom for a full day (and it wasn’t pretty in there), and then finally, after meticulously planning a big family Christmas, having my neck go out on Christmas Eve morning and again on Christmas day so badly that I actually had to go to the ER and get put on some serious pain killers.
At least, as it turns out, life feels a lot happier and more relaxed on Valium and Oxycodone.
Enough with the bad, though. This year also contained a good bit of fun, and some great outfit posts, if I can be so bold. Let’s have a look at them.
Highlights of 2014
- Buying my first (his second) car with my fiance
- Getting to model for the Sparkle and Sophistication jewelry launch
- Switching to a great new job right in downtown Chicago
- Watching Real Madrid play (and sadly lose to) Manchester United at the Big House, and enjoying all the associated tailgating and summer fun
- Going to Katy Perry’s Prismatic World Tour at the United Center
- Touring through Italy with my fiance and his parents, staying at Dowton Abbey style B&Bs, visiting 5,000 year old burial mounds, making friends with an adorable Irish/English couple at a pub in Kinsale, and drinking at combo bar/hardware stores in Dingle.
- Taking a quick trip out to San Franscisco for my fiance’s cousin’s wedding
- Catching up with old high school friends in Marquette for another friend’s beautiful fall wedding
- Elk hunting (though we failed to actually bag one) in Montana with my dad, fiance, and his dad. Much scotch and cigars were had by all.
- Spending Christmas with my fiance’s family in Ann Arbor and having my dad fly in to join in the festivities.
And what about 2015? At the moment, the only 2015 thing that I have headspace for is my wedding in March. There’s a lot of planning to do.
Happy New Year to all! I hope you have a blast tonight and throughout the coming year. :)