It’s time to come clean. Overseas retailers like SheIn, ChicWish, Fashion Mia, Ami Clubwear, Zaful, Sammy Dress, and StyleWe are constantly being featured on fashion blogs. If you regularly read fashion blogs there s a good chance you’ve seen a blogger wearing a “care of” item of theirs in an outfit. I am no exception. I’ve… View Article

Why You Should Never Shop at a Cheap Overseas Retailer

Season: Spring

dress SheIn (similar)
clutch Kate Spade
belt Target
pumps BCBGeneration
ring Kate Spade (current version)
lip Burt’s Bees (Sunset Cruise)
nails Essie (On the List)
cheap clothing website review zaful review rosegal review shein review sammy dress review

It’s time to come clean. Overseas retailers like SheIn, ChicWish, Fashion Mia, Ami Clubwear, Zaful, Sammy Dress, and StyleWe are constantly being featured on fashion blogs. If you regularly read fashion blogs there s a good chance you’ve seen a blogger wearing a “care of” item of theirs in an outfit. I am no exception. I’ve featured items from several of these retailers over the years on my blog. But with this post, it’s time to say enough is enough. You should never by clothing from any of these retailers, and I’ll tell you why.

cheap clothing website review zaful review rosegal review shein review sammy dress review

Given that I’m wearing a dress from SheIn in this post, you might think that my stance is unfair. After all, this dress looks pretty good, doesn’t it? What you don’t see is how long I spent clipping little threads off of every seam on this dress before I shot it. If you look closely, you can see a few in the pictures. This dress was clearly put together as quickly and as cheaply as possible. It’s also too tight–the clothing you receive from retailers like this often has bizarre sizing. Some dresses will arrive too tight, others too loose, others way longer or shorter than the way they’re shown on the retailer’s site.

I’ve been contacted by almost every retailer I’ve listed above for a feature of their clothing on my blog. For most of them I said yes, and they either told me I could select a certain number of items or a certain amount of money worth of items to review. I would say, on average, the about 30% of the items I received from these companies were actually wearable. The other 70% were frighteningly low quality. For example, I received a dress with a belt that was covered in rust, a number of sweaters (this is a good example) that smelled so noxiously of rubber and chemicals that I tossed them immediately, a dress that arrived with a giant split in the back seam, a dress depicted as a midi dress that arrived and was clearly floor length, and a dress on which all the seams were clearly never finished and were moments away from pulling apart.

The above are just a few examples of what I experienced with these cheap overseas retailers. I think bloggers highlight them so often because they’re willing to send so much free merchandise, but don’t be deceived. If you order from one of these companies, chances are you’ll end up with a seriously low-quality product that takes forever to arrive and is virtually unreturnable due to the company’s location.

cheap clothing website review zaful review rosegal review shein review sammy dress reviewcheap clothing website review zaful review rosegal review shein review sammy dress review

My commitment to you as a reader moving forward will be clear: I will only highlight retailers at which I think you should shop. Period. I will no longer feature any retailer on this blog because they sent me something free. I will also serve as a watchdog, where I can, to call out these companies for what they are. Given the large number of bloggers unscrupulously promoting low-quality retailers and products, I think someone should, and I’m happy to step up to the plate.

cheap clothing website review zaful review rosegal review shein review sammy dress review
From Desk to Drinks: Summer Skirt
Summer Workwear: Leaf Print Shirtdress
How to Wear a Wrap Skirt
Colorblock Fit-and-Flare from Eliza J
Maggy London Colorful Maxi Outfit

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 Comment and Pingbacks for Why You Should Never Shop at a Cheap Overseas Retailer.

  1. I work with a lot of the same brands, and unlike you 80% of the itens I received are great. Specially Shein and Zaful. I wear most things on my daily basis. I think these stores are good options for those who can’t afford more.

    http://www.deboradahl.com

    Debora Dahl on March 30, 2017   /   Reply