It’s the last day of 2016, can you believe it? I feel like the year has flown by. This year had its ups and downs like all years, though perhaps more downs than usual.
Below you’ll find a roundup of my favorite outfits of the year divided by season as well as a roundup of the poetry I wrote and books I reviewed.
Here’s to a Happy New Year’s Eve, however you’re celebrating, and a prosperous 2017. Happy New Year!
2016 in Review
- Broke in my new spiralizer and crafted some zoodle recipes, this one being my favorite.
- Spent the month exercising hard and eating right in anticipation of our trip to the Cayman Islands
- Had a Jackie Chan marathon with my husband–Rumble in the Bronx was my favorite.
- Spent a weekend in Ann Arbor pheasant hunting and drinking microbrews.
- Travelled to the Cayman Islands.
- Updated Style by Joules to its current layout.
- Finally updated my beauty routine.
- Crafted my most popular recipe to date: sweet potato cookies.
- Celebrated St. Patrick’s Day with soda bread and colcannon.
- Celebrated my 1 year wedding anniversary.
April – May:
- Attended a good friend’s pagan-themed wedding in Indianapolis and drank more than my fair share of mead–outfit here.
- Took a mini hiatus from blogging to reduce stress and refresh my approach to content production.
- Helped my dad inaugurate his new home in northern Michigan with a fun weekend of golf, bonfires, and cookouts.
- Hosted a reunion party for my college Irish dance troupe (Leim Irish Dance)
- Attended a good friend’s wedding in Port Huron, Michigan–outfit here.
- Hosted my husband’s family for the weekend of the 4th of July. We visited the Chicago Botanic Garden, took an architecture tour, and spent a lot of time hanging out on our roof deck.
- We hosted my dad for the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics–always a tradition–and I fawned over Tara Lipinski’s style.
- Attended Jose Gonzalez’s open-air concert in Millennium Park.
- Visited my dad in northern Michigan and went to Traverse City’s Microbrew and Music Festival.
- Spent a weekend in Grand Rapids visiting local breweries with new friends.
- Travelled to Colorado to visit my mom in Longmont.
- Went to the Michigan vs. Colorado game.
- Threw a small fall baking party with seasonal cocktails.
- Finally updated my camera equipment, from an old Canon 10D to a new Canon 6D.
- Spent a week relaxing at a lodge in Northern Michigan for our annual hunting camp.
- Spent a weekend in Traverse City taking in all there was to offer, see my travel diaries: part 1 and part 2.
- Attended a good friend’s wedding in Ann Arbor, including an informal pre-reception party at our favorite local brewery.
- Hosted a small Halloween party with Pinterest-inspired snacks and drinks and pumpkin carving.
- I voted for Hillary.
- We finally installed our new kitchen island, after many hours spent searching for local woodworkers and adjudicating stone tops.
- Drove to Kalamazoo for the coldest tailgate and football game I’ve ever attended–Western Michigan versus Buffalo. It was a ton of fun.
- Spent Thanksgiving in Ann Arbor with my husband’s family. I brought my bourbon pecan pie, which looked so good Alton Brown actually featured it on his Instagram (and made my holiday).
- Ran a Christmas Fashion Advent Calendar special on Instagram.
- Featured 12 festive dresses in my 12 Party Dresses of Christmas special.
- Shared my top 20 books for gifting.
- Shared 9 easy ways to tie a blanket scarf.
- Attended the Joffrey Ballet’s Nutcracker in a dress suited for the occasion.
- Spent a lovely Christmas in Ann Arbor with family and friends.
2016 Book Reviews
- My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem
- The Colossus and Other Poems by Sylvia Plath
- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
- A Net of Fireflies by Harold Stewart
- Haiku Master Buson
- The Penguin Book of Japanese Verse
- Ringworld by Larry Niven
- Ariel by Sylvia Plath
- Unprocessed by Megan Kimble
- A Haunted House by Virginia Woolf
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Matsuo Basho
- Poetry Magazine